MRSS FeedsTags: mrss widgets
What is MRSS?
Today RSS feeds are not only used to just send latest website details but they are used for a number of multimedia related purposes. A special specification for development of content intensive RSS called the Media RSS (MRSS) was developed by Yahoo! in the year 2004. Today there is a thriving Media RSS community which allows for syndication of various multimedia files like audio files, images and video files right inside an RSS feed. With the increase in popularity of user generated content and podcasts becoming the rage of the day. Media RSS has become a part and parcel of our lives.
A number of popular video related services like Yahoo! Video Search can recognize MRSS feeds. This is the reason a number of content developers put their video files in MRSS enclosures.MRSS vs. RSS?
RSS and MRSS can both be used for syndication of downloadable as well as streaming video content. There are reasons which make one mode of delivery better than the other.
While the videos in streaming MRSS enclosures can only be viewed on a device where MRSS feed is downloaded, the downloadable video can be transcoded and converted to a format compatible with any device. This means that consumer of the content can watch the video on any device he likes.
Adding an MRSS feed widget to your Asset Library:
- Click on Assets from the Home page.
- Click on the Add widget button to click on MRSS (Media RSS Feed) to add to the library.
Adding the MRSS Widget to Your Layout
- From the Home page, click on Layouts
- Click on the Desiger for your layout
- Click the + symbol to add a new zone
- Right-click in the zone and select Widget as the content type
- Select the MRSS widget from the Asset library
- Once the widget has been added to the zone, you will see an icon to open the widget properties. From this window you can paste the XML feed.